Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using a 'Tachyon' video camera (about half the size of a pack of cigarettes). However, it seems to have a resolution of 640x480 and no 'shake-reduction'. I noticed several forum members have been taping in what looks like 'wide-screen' Hi-Def with shake-reduction.
Any recommendation from those who have had excellent results (and those cameras to
stay away from)? Do you know the purchase price?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a GoPro HD Hero - Wide Lens a couple of months ago:
http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?ar ... oductid=31
They run about $300 and you can purchase numerous mounting options. There's no shake reduction, but with a 170 degree field of vision it doesn't shake too bad.

I have not used it kayaking yet (got an order in for the TI), but have used it Mountain Biking and Kitesurfing. It has performed well and has surprisingly little shake even on the Mountain Bike. As far as the waterproof nature, I used it Kitesurfing and had no problem. It's a great little camera that shoots high quality video. The only thing I would like to have would be a preview screen. Hopefully, you have the camera aimed correctly because you won't know until you download the video to your computer. However, they will be releasing an accessory to allow you to preview your video for around $50 I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'vd got one of of these Panasonic Jobbies-

DMC-TS1D
12.1 Megapixel Digital Camera
•3m Water Proof
Take photos under 3m of water.
•1.5m Shock Proof
Durable casing to withstand falls.
•Intelligent Auto Mode
Helps prevent shooting errors.
•4.6x Optical Zoom
28mm wide-angle LUMIX® Lens

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-TS1D_11002_7000000000000005702

There's a new model out now which is rated for deeper and higher shock rating. I'm pretty happy with it. If you zoom in too much hand held if get a little shakey even with IS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the GoPro HD also.
It is a great POV (Point of View) camera but I wouldn't be using it as my main camera. You have no idea what you have captured until you can hook it up to a TV/PC and the wide angle fixed lens (no zoom) doesn't suit all situations. It also doesn't have a flash. It's a great supplement to a conventional still camera.
The images/video from the Lumix are excellent. You can see them in posts by CGM and Slaughter. My main concern is the long term durability of a so called waterproof camera. I have had problems in the past with these type of cameras.
My most reliable camera has been a Canon Ixus in a dedicated housing. I have had one since 3MP cameras were the standard and it is still going strong. If I was to get another camera it would be the latest Ixus with optical image stabilisation, wide angle, excellent video quality and a dedicated Canon housing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,
There seems to be a few versions of the Canon IXUS. Which one do you suggest? I'm in the market also but want to do a one time purchase. I too was thinking of the GO PRO WIDE, but I'm rethinking. Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sammy,
I just checked Canon Australia's site and there are quite a few more models available than when last I looked. I'm a bit out of touch with the latest features. I did notice that they don't seem to offer a dedicated housing for all the models like they used to, so that will limit your choice. Models in the US will be different as well.
To me the important features would be wide angle lens, large screen, OIS, maybe HD video capability and of course, the dedicated Canon waterproof housing.
The GoPro HD Hero is great value ( the whole camera, housing and attachments cost about the same as my old Ixus waterproof housing alone) and it does what it's designed to do very well. However a POV only camera is very limiting and is best thought of as a supplement to a conventional camera.
If I could only have one camera the Ixus wins, no question! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cowsgomoo wrote:
I'vd got one of of these Panasonic Jobbies-

DMC-TS1D
12.1 Megapixel Digital Camera
•3m Water Proof
Take photos under 3m of water.
•1.5m Shock Proof
Durable casing to withstand falls.
•Intelligent Auto Mode
Helps prevent shooting errors.
•4.6x Optical Zoom
28mm wide-angle LUMIX® Lens

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-TS1D_11002_7000000000000005702

There's a new model out now which is rated for deeper and higher shock rating. I'm pretty happy with it. If you zoom in too much hand held if get a little shakey even with IS.

Have seen the new model the TS2 and it has been given really good ratings as had the new Pentax optio W90 which replaces the W80. I personally highly recommend any of the rugged Olympus cameras. If your not going to use a bag i would also only get one that is 5m plus waterproof, some of the 1.5-3 metre cameras have a habit of leaking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anybody considered the Vholdr one?
http://vholdr.com/contourhd/helmetcam

It has a waterproof case, sold separately:
http://vholdr.com/contourhd/accessories

I've been debating whether to get this for the last couple of months.
I like the fact that it is light, and full HD.
I could use it in a helmet or mount it elsewhere on the boat...

-Pesan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tidalwave , I have ordered the Sanyo XACTI VPC-WHI , hope to have it by friday as next week we're sailing Great Sandy Straights ,
Hervey Bay to Tin Can Bay Queensland and back ..weather permitting , so hopefully i'll get to try the new camcorder out and post a clip here when i return ,
a bit off topic here but as a matter of interest we're not sailing a Hobie but a Red Baron 20ft catamaran made in Western Australia .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's waterproof and FULL HD!
http://www.kayakfishing.asia/forum/view ... p?f=15&t=4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The GoPro is not the camera to use if you want to use it for still photos also. The lack of a preview screen really hampers it. Even when they finally start selling the preview accessory that attaches to the back of the camera, I would still not use this as a primary still photo camera since it has no zoom. However, if you're interested in mounting a video camera multiple hands free locations (mast, amas, paddle, yourself, etc) and not having to worry about it getting wet, the GoPro is the way to go.

I looked at the Vholdr when I purchased my GoPro and decided for myself the GoPro was the better camera for me. The Vholdr looks a little more sleek, but it lacked some of the features of the GoPro from what I remember, and didn't come with a waterproof housing as standard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OBee wrote:

Yeh but i have heard that they have terrible build quality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the Olympus Tough 6000 for all of my outdoor activities. You can drop it from 5 feet with no problems, it's freeze proof, waterproof to 10 feet, and shoots video. It has dual image stabilization. It's perfect for all my outdoor activities. I can take it mountain biking, in the snow, on the kayak, anything that I want. The model that I have doesn't shoot HD, but I just checked their website (Canadian website) and it shows another model that shoots HD video. The problem that I have with this camera is that it's a little difficult to shoot in low light conditions, even after playing with the settings. For me this isn't a problem because this is our outdoor activity camera, while we have a more photography oriented camera for our truly scenic shots. Ironically, this camera often gets better shots because it's so simple to use.

So consider the Olympus Tough 6000, or the new one that I just found on their website that shoots HD video, it's listed in the link below.
http://www.olympuscanada.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeh the 6000 series was good but the 8000 is way better and goes to 10m not 3m. I would recommend the 8010.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I chatted cameras w/my "camera buddy" at work we found this one that takes AA's, the Zx1: http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/e ... .145117100

He has the non-water resistant version, Zi8 (w/higher price) and LOVES IT!

I have no expieriance w/either, but am strongly condsidering the Kodak Zx1 @ ~$150.
That or the previously mentioned here, Panasonic DMC-TS2.

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.