Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking of fitting a transducer to the bottom of the rudder on my AI, wondering about the effect of the increased drag on the rudder itself? With the release of the EVOLVE and the way it's attached to the rudder i wouldn't imagine it would be an issue, but just curious if anyone has done this, and wether there is issues with pin breakage, or the up/down cables breaking with the extra weight, or even the stress on the twist and stow mechanism?

Matt, what are your thoughts on this also? Has there been any issues with fitting EVOLVES to AI's?

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

www.yakass.net - www.sailpower.com.au - www.westernangler.com.au

www.yakfishwest.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have one on the rudder but I've got one attached to the port rear aka. At slow speed you don't notice it much but if sailing in a moderate breeze with a bit of speed you can notice the drag. I find it tends to pop up at about 11 km/h and can collect floating weed, leaves, twigs etc which increases the drag. By design it's supposed to kick back if it hits something. On a windy day I keep it locked down with a small bungee.

You also have to think of the cable going to the transducer. I've fitted mine down the leading edge under some yellow tape (not shown in picture below). If I ever work on MOD 2 version it will be resessed and flush.

What sort of system are you looking to install?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Brett put it inside your hull. We have just put one in and are going to put in another in the next week and so far it has worked awesomely.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Shouldn't be a problem on the rudder for most models, but not on the AI... too much drag at sailing speeds.

There has been discussion about the eVolve on the AI. There is not a perfect mount location. Off the rudder would be too much drag at higher sailing speeds, same in the well. Would be best mounted off the akas, but we have not finalized a design for that yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ChaosDave wrote:
Hey Brett put it inside your hull. We have just put one in and are going to put in another in the next week and so far it has worked awesomely.

I have always done it this way, but i am looking at one of the new Side Imaging Sounders, and the in hull silicon set up wont work in this circumstance, the same transducer as shown in Cowsgomoo's reply.

Thanks for the reply Matt, i wouldn't really imagine there would be too many Evolves fitted to AI's, but i figures it was a good example.

Matt, have you come across any solutions for the transducer mount for these new SI sounders, a solution thats neat and low on drag?

www.yakfishwest.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any ideas on tranducers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shufoy wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:

I have always done it this way, but i am looking at one of the new Side Imaging Sounders, and the in hull silicon set up wont work in this circumstance, the same transducer as shown in Cowsgomoo's reply.

Thanks for the reply Matt, i wouldn't really imagine there would be too many Evolves fitted to AI's, but i figures it was a good example.

Matt, have you come across any solutions for the transducer mount for these new SI sounders, a solution thats neat and low on drag?

Yep, for SI transducers you need the unobstucted 180 deg view. Don't think I'd put it on the rudder though. Every little movement is going to upset the sonar picture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's something new from Hobie to mount a external transducer. http://yakass.net/articles/87-equipment/335-balls-of-steel

I'm not sure how it works, but it does look interesting! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shufoy wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:

a fair enough then really there are only 2 options either you put it at the back of one of the amas or you have it lies cows does. There are actually a few portable systems out there that have a clamp on transducer mount, maybe you could get a clamp on for yours then attach to the crossbars?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordered myself a bung RAM ball attachment from Scott Lovig after the Walpole ABT for this, and finally put it to use. I'll be making up another mount soon, but for now i'll use this. May collect a bit of weed, which will be an issue, but have another idea which i'll work on over the weekend.

As i have always used Humminbird sounders, i have power leads set up in both my yaks already, and a battery in the Hobie gear bucket i can put in any hobie, so i want the transducer set up to be portable so i can swap it to the Revo for river work easily.

The Transducer cable runs across the back deck, then follows the side rail with light able ties on the deck loops, to the sidepocket, where the excess cable is stored, then straight to the sounder. It seems out of the way, and we will see how much so soon enough.

Transducer Mount MkII

I wasn't happy using the RAM mounts all the way to the Transducer as it was a very bulky setup, and as i have a heap of aluminium lying around, i made up this setup, MkII so to speak. Using 3mm Aluminium, i slotted one end into the RAM extender, which grips it super tight, and fitted the Transducer to the bottom. This way it's very streamlined, and still transferabe across the Adventure and Revo.

The cables run across the back deck, follow the eelets along the side rail, to the sidepocket where the excess cable will be stashed, then onto the sounder. It seems neat enough, and with a few cable ties here and there i think will be fine.

Two views of the bracket, showing the RAM extender and the Bung all, the cable is taped along the bracket, keeping it all neat.

You can see the path of the cable hee, neat and seemingly out of the way, time will tell, and there are many alternatives, just none as simle or as easy to swap from yak to yak.

www.yakfishwest.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

looks good brett.