Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: creaking clicking drive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thought I had better do some pennance after so many months of drive abuse...so I disassembled my drive, cleaned it all off applied lubricant (silicone spay and 'spray on' reel lube) to the appropriate points and then re-assembled the unit as per hobie and yakass instructions...Now I have a 'click' that i didnt have before as soon as the cranks pass one another on the vertical in other words when the fins are pointing straight DOWN and about to come up... :roll: click :roll: ...its driving me NUTS! I have checked the chain on the sprockets they are well engaged no probs there...then i checked the tensions on the chain and idler cables...maybe a bit tight so I backed them off a wee bit but still no luck. I have ducked the whole unit in the sea and plugged it back into the drive but still the creaking clicking. I have checked the idler pulley set screw and shaft and found I could get a couple more turns on the set screw...likewise with the sproket shaft set screw (but I go easy here I dont want to bust the moulding in the spine that it goes into) i have even backed off the leach tensioners on the fins...to no avail I still creak and click. One thing...my drums are worn and are no longer that tight around the shaft, I can flex them if i hold the cranks and tensioning the cables wont get them tight...so maybe time to replace the drums?...anyone else have 'clickey' drives????...did check the archives couldnt find an answer!

Thanks.....in anticipation.

Philip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If your drums are wobbling they are getting worn. I would replace them for better efficiency, although it doesn't harm anything to continue using them. You should be able to reverse the drums (and pedals) and get some small improvement. If your drumshaft shows wear, you can slide it out and rotate it 180 degrees for a less worn surface.

I'm not familiar with yakass' tune up recommendations so couldn't comment on your click. Hopefelly, to the extent you disassembled the Drive you greased the drumshaft, sprocket shaft and idler pulley, as the factory does. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
If your drums are wobbling they are getting worn. I would replace them for better efficiency, although it doesn't harm anything to continue using them. You should be able to reverse the drums (and pedals) and get some small improvement. If your drumshaft shows wear, you can slide it out and rotate it 180 degrees for a less worn surface.

I'm not familiar with yakass' tune up recommendations so couldn't comment on your click. Hopefelly, to the extent you disassembled the Drive you greased the drumshaft, sprocket shaft and idler pulley, as the factory does. 8)

RR

Thanks for the tip on drum reversal, read that in another of your threads. I will order a new set, my clicking/creaking's gotta be coming from there...shouldnt have taken the darned thing apart, it was working just fine before!!!!

Yakass' drive maintenance schedule much the same as that suggested by Hobie (actually I think its better!)

http://yakass.net/articles/87-equipment ... aintenance

Its just like I'm hitting a bump, theres something out of whack and I cant for the life of me find out what or where....best thing to do is take it all apart again and re-assemble then I will probably have 2 clicks per stroke instead of one!!!!...or who knows maybe it will all 'bed in' better this time!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Maybe a Kinked link? A little twist in the chain could do that as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RR,
maybe its that sprocket chain alignment/master cog that you had in one of your instructional post.

See this post with pics-

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=19783&hilit=master+cog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Maybe a Kinked link? A little twist in the chain could do that as well.

Thanks...will check...Though I have not noticed any cable movement checking the unit out of the water it could be that 'under load' a worn drum or drum shaft might cause a drive cable to 'drift' across the drum fractionally (or, if not that, just the drums drifting back and forth a mm or so across the shaft) which might cause an uneveness in chain tension on the sprocket. The chains are centered on the sprockets though, well aware of that problem. Heck...the units 2 years old and has had a lot of use and I have not been as attentive to maintenance as I should have been. Time to order a new set of drums!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry - can't help with the problem but interested to know how it ends up :roll: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mickeymouse wrote:
Sorry - can't help with the problem but interested to know how it ends up :roll: :wink:

Well, Mickey it was doing fine until I pulled it all apart :lol: ...ordered new drums and shaft today...probably just a wear issue but I'm always wary of squeaks, creaks, clicks and bumps. Its just NQWWW
(another silly acronym to take the place of IHMO)

before it drives me :evil: ANAL :evil: (its well on its way) I'll have the damned thing apart again and if I find out whats clicking :idea: I will let you know

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip, does it happen when the drive is out of the boat, or only when it's under load?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
Philip, does it happen when the drive is out of the boat, or only when it's under load?

Hi Chris,

I feel a very slight resistance, a bump if you like, when the fins start to turn back outwards from the vertical with the drive out of the boat. It is more pronounced under load ....if I increase cadence it almost goes away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip, it's probably not the cause of your problem, but I once had a similar thing happen when I had the leach tensioner a bit too loose. This caused the clew of the fin to slip out of the outhaul with each stroke when under load. It was fixed by tightening it up a bit. I notice you mentioned you had eased the leach tensioner off, so it might be worth trying the opposite. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
Philip, it's probably not the cause of your problem, but I once had a similar thing happen when I had the leach tensioner a bit too loose. This caused the clew of the fin to slip out of the outhaul with each stroke when under load. It was fixed by tightening it up a bit. I notice you mentioned you had eased the leach tensioner off, so it might be worth trying the opposite. Just a thought.

OK, Thanks Chris, I will try tightening the leach tension see if it helps!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On mine it was the pedal. Have a good look at them..