Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since I paddle 99% in the open Gulf and in deeper waters, I have found it important to secure all gear. This should include my eVolve components and my Mirage drive.

For the eVolve motor, I used 400 lb mono and a covered leash.

I attach the leash to a pad eye supplied.

I then used 200 lb mono to secure my remote control for the evolve.

Since the Mirage drive is far more heavy than the eVolve motor, I have it attached with a carabine and the same covered leash.

I am hoping, should I encounter waves big enough to flip me that I do not lose important gear and components of my kayak..........from experience I have learn that you should be prepared because the options when you are out from land 2-4 miles is limited.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It always pays to PLAN AHEAD!!! Thanks Mythman, this post is a great reminder of the importance of preparation.

How do you like the placement of your rod holder? I've not seen one mounted there before. I still haven't mounted anything and will wait until I get out on the water.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

GR8 Laker,
I gave much thought to placing my rod holders. I have my rods in holders a lots as I fish offshore with bait, 95% of the time. I wanted them handy to be able to set a hook on a run and yet I didn't want them in the way of fighting a big fish from side to side. I do have to take them out to carry my rods in the horizontal rod storage, but that is not or has not been a problem yet. When out on the water I find them very handy.

Here I am cruising in my PA with my eVolve, last Thursday on a fishing trip. I do have to place the rods in the back when I paddle back in through the surf.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:mrgreen: Mike, I won't sleep well until I know you also leashed and/or secured your dipstick/paint stirrer (or new flat aluminum prop alignment tool thingy) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RPB wrote:
:mrgreen: Mike, I won't sleep well until I know you also leashed and/or secured your dipstick/paint stirrer (or new flat aluminum prop alignment tool thingy) :lol:

You got it, see the wire to secure on the top??? :wink: :D :D :D

Now sleep well!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RPB wrote:

Hey mrgreen,

here is the new and improved aluminum prop alignmet tool...........I put a brass screw in the handle:

And then placed 200 lb mono on it with a plastic Scotty clip so I won't be losing it out on the water.

Now not only will you sleep well, but I will too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: