Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't had my eVolve long (only 2-3 trips in the water) and I have already experience quality problems. I am not a long term Hobie owner, but over the past three years, I have observed that Hobie produces one of the highest quality and engineer products floating on the water. I was expecting the same thing with my eVolve.

Although the problems are minor at first glance, they are critical to the operation of the unit. My first problem was that the plastic finger handle on the flat aluminum prop alignment tool came off. I put it back on and in fact intended to drill a hole in it and put a rivet in to hold it on. However, in my packing for a trip to Padre Island National Seashore, I forgot to accomplish this. And, when I launched at Padre Island, I paddled out past the surf into 7 feet of water and place my eVolve unit into the mirage well mount. When I tried to remove the alignment tool the handle is all I came up with. The aluminum alignment blade must have fallen into the 7 foot waters. I can align unit manually to get it inserted into the mirage well mount but then to get it out you have to keep hitting the power to hope the prop aligns up correctly to be pulled out of the mirage well mount. This is a dangerous way to do it when you are in wind and waves pushing you toward the surf......you take the chance that you will be blown into the surf zone and ground your eVolve unit.

The second problem is that my magnetic key came apart. I keep the key attached to my life jacket and when I removed my life jacket from my vehicle, the dang thing came apart. I put it back together and thought surely it was made secure to hold. Not so, out 2 mile offshore on the water, the thing came apart three times. I had to pull the unit and load my mirage drive to get back to the beach.

My magnetic key attached to my life jacket.

The key apart!

When I came in at noon I had to use electrical tape to keep the thing together.

Today, I got some marine goop and applied it to the inside and am hoping when it dries, I have no more problems.

I called my dealer and he said he felt this was a warranty issue and he would contact Hobie for a replacement alignment tool. In the mean time I had planned a couple of fishing trips this week and will be unable to use my eVolve.

Frankly, I was expecting better quality due to the amount of money spent and the reputation Hobie has for quality.

I am disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mythman, I'm sorry you're already having to deal with these quality issues. I hope they properly back the product and take care of you so you can be happy you bought it. I've been seriously considering one for my PA for my tour of the north shore of Lake Superior. I intend to get one mainly for safety purposes in case I'm well off shore and need to get to land due to brewing storms.
Please keep us informed of the company's repair/ replacement process. I hope it works out that you'll be able to use it as planned for your upcoming trips.
Good luck to you,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

WOW MM, I'm kinda stunned. I know from the TKF and here that you have a great amount of enthusiasm for your set-up and have poured a lot of dollars into it. Hope this is the last of your probs. However I will say that this is a new product, and as you can garner from all the posting and fixing that goes on here at this web forum, it takes all of us to "work out the bugs". Thanx for posting so others can learn and take proactive steps to keep safe. I have no doubt that Hobie will take care of you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:40 am 
Site Admin

That is a shame. I have forwarded your comments to our lead engineer on this project. Both will be replaced without question. We can over night an alignment tool if you can provide an address.

Unfortunately, this is why warranty is offered... sometime things do go wrong in mass production.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
That is a shame. I have forwarded your comments to our lead engineer on this project. Both will be replaced without question. We can over night an alignment tool if you can provide an address.

Unfortunately, this is why warranty is offered... sometime things do go wrong in mass production.

Well I am not surprised that Hobie stands behind its products........that is the reputation they have and I am now experiencing it......thanks.

I will send my address, but no need to over night it as I am going fishing tomorrow (before it can be delivered) and then won't need the items until after the weekend. I have a letter opener that fits but is a bit short. I am going to Home Depot to see if I can find a substitute until my align rod is replaced.

Again, my hats off to Hobie for a quick and proper response.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here it is folks.................a little Redneck Engineering!!

Knowing that Hobie was sending a replacement soon, I chose the cheap route and applied a bandaid to one of my eVolve problems. This is a paint stirrer that has been slightly ground down to fit the hole.

I drilled a hole in it and place a small plastic wire to make sure I didn't loose it. Then inserted it and away we go.

All the way down to make sure the prop is aligned.......the only problem is the wood isn't as stiff and durable as the original aluminum, but hey if it hits the water, at least it floats.

I am going fishing tomorrow and using my eVolve...........life is good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Attaboy mythman! Way to NOT settle for less! Funny how necessity breeds invention. Good luck on your outing tomorrow.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now thats thinking with your dip stick,,,,,,,errr sort of! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Parts shipped yesterday... should be there at the beginning of next week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Parts shipped yesterday... should be there at the beginning of next week.

Thank you!

I will soon post up about my offshore fishing trip, yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So yesterday, Saturday, it was rainy and cold and I stayed in most of the day..........never heard the door bell ring, but this morning when I went out to get the newspaper, there was a box on my porch.

Hobie, true to their word, came through like a the champs they are and my replacement prop alignment guide and magnetic key for my eVolve arrived.

I am going to make some alterations as I have experience with both of these and I don't want what happened before to happen again. I will be putting small brass screws in both to prevent them from coming apart again.

Life is good!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I don't know if Hobie is going to make alterations to the alignment rod, but I made my own. I put a brass screw in the handle and then twisted the top off. That should hold the handle on.

Then I put 200 lb mono on the handle with a plastic Scotty clip to attach it to a pad eye of my choosing. It is very light and I will probably attached it to the right of my seat, as I only need it when I remove the eVolve motor from the mirage drive well.

Now to concentrate on the magnetic key.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

We checked the epoxy process, there were some issues. That should hold the handle fine, but the screw and lanyard are nice additions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the 200 lb. mono idea, where did you find the mono at and is that a cable clamp you used to secure the loop? I see this as an easy way to make lots of cheap tethers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The eVolve is my next toy, I envy you buying and using it. I'm sure your fishing has changed with it. What were some of the unexpected perks? Did it exceed your expectations?
Can you swap it out between Hobie kayaks if you owned a few of them? Thanks!!!!!