Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I normally carry my Pro Anger on a trailer. This past weekend I took a trip to Padre Island National Seashore and traversed places that were 4WD only and I could not have pulled my trailer through the deep ruts and sand. So I decided to carry my Pro Anger on my car top.

My factory racks are rated for 200 lbs and I have them padded. With some effort I hoisted the PA up on the rack and strapped it down both side to side and front and back(front strap doesn't show on the following pic). I drove 65 and 70 for 250 miles both ways with not a problem.....in fact I got some of the best gas mileage ever on my vehicle.......of course a tail wind both ways probably helped.

Life is good!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool, After some experementing, that is the way I think I'm going to go on my Subaru as well. Any other option seems to add up to $$$ very quickly.
It seems to fit that way just fine. To me, looks as it would cause less damage than the Yakimas I tried.

Keep it simple brother!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

maybe it is time for a 1/4 ton ex-military trailer? mine goes with me on any 4x4 trail within reason.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I found these but they are 1 1/2 ton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mythman wrote:
Well I found these but they are 1 1/2 ton

that is the American M101 heavy trailer. if you can find a 1/4 ton M101 Canadian trailer that would be perfect for you. the Canuck M101 trailers were made in the early 90's and never used. Most WWll and post WWll American 1/4 ton trailers are going to be in such condition that they would need a lot of work to get them in useable shape. I was lucky enough to find a post WWll Bantam 1/4 trailer that even though it is 60 years old was in great condition. All I did was replace the tires and tubes and service the wheel bearings. I also changed the stock Fulton ball hitch to a Max Coupler full axis coupler designed for on and off road useage. The Bantam trailer will easily do any 4x4 trial my vehicle is capable of running.