Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Outback Changes?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wonder if those who have seen the new Outback can answer a few questions I thought of after looking at the pictures posted on forum. Wish Hobie would upgrade its site with current pictures! Anyway....forum with pictures...
http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/ ... 5571063061

Anyone have any pictures of new boat showing new layout? !!!!!

Has the area around the drive support notches been redesigned and reinforced to prevent leakage? Have the mast hole mount hole leak been fixed?

Is the new improved rudder coming on the Outbacks or Adventure only? Can it be added to Outback? Bigger rudder might help the wandering the boat seems prone to and would help a lot in the waves as well as less prone to breakage..

Any word on new fin availability? How much longer are they?

How big is the new center hatch (in front of the seat). That is where I would put the battery box and wonder if it would fit. Also would stash my small tackle boxes if there is enough clearance. Wish they would have made it square but I guess the option of adding a hatch is there as long as the area is a little higher than it was in the old hull and the size of the flat area hasn't decreased.

How much was the same area raised? Hopefully its higher so flooding will be less likely (especially if a square hatch is installed).

The front hatch looks usable so I can finally store rods inside the boat. Anyone done this? Badly need that feature when coming through the surf.
Anyone know the size?

Couldn't tell if front hatch opens and lays flat, only opens half way, or comes completely off. Be nice if its removable so it will be easier to load rods.

Are they still putting bungies over the front? I like to put a bag up at the bow to break the waves as the scooped bow just funnels a wave right into your lap.

Is there still a small hatch under the seat. Hope not as it just adds a leak point.

Has the seat and or seatback changed? Almost looks like there is a slot molded for the seat to fit into. If its changed to much I couldn't put an aftermarket seat in the boat.

Any changes behind the seat?

Did they move the drain so its in a useable spot? Thought about just putting another one in on the side below paddle holder as its easier turning boat on its side than propping front of boat up then turning it on side to drain through current hole.

Any changes to the rod holders or flat areas around them (I need flat spots for mounting electronics).

Thanks

Post subject: Details
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Will have to get on this on Monday. Too many questions that I cannot answer from home on a Saturday morning.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hang in there Bob. I have a full set of pics of the 2006 OB that I just took today. Will try to pull something togethr tomorrow. In the mean time, you might want to drool over the new Adventure that I just posted about a few minutes ago. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been thinking of some way to get one for the long trips down in San Diego area. If they are really more stable and turn equally as fast I might consider giving up the outback but for most of my nearshore fishing I wouldn't trade the outback for anything I have seen so far (as long as I get to haul it in the bed of my truck and roll it to the water on my rooleze cart.

The truck makes transporting it simple and the cart gets me over the sand really easily bad back and all. Oh yeah, the seat replacement (Surf to Summit GTS) helps enormously. Positioning strap eye clips to pull sides of seat back as far apart as possible was the magic tweak. If fishing 6-8 hrs at a time it means I can get out of the boat and straightn up rather than be bent over in pain for rest of day (and have to ask for help to pick up end of yak and slide it in the truck).

Looking forward to pics!

Bob

Post subject: Seats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looked at post again tonight and decided I might add two notes since I wasn't knocking Hobie stuff. Pulling seat wider and flatter repositioning straps should work for Hobie or any of seats. Keeps back flatter. Second note is carts....when going across sand the wider the wheel the easier it is. Hobie carts are kinda narrow wheeled but fit on the boat well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bob,
You're right on about cart wheels--wider is always better. You can achieve this with pneumatic tires by simply letting air out to get that wide footprint. The 4WD folks have been doing that for years for dune and soft sand driving. So I thought I might give it a try with the Hobie cart. For the most part my Hobie wheels work fine, but will bog down in really soft stuff.

Sooo, I bought a pair of really nice pneumatic tires and wheels from Harbor Freight Tools in LA for $4.99 each. Killer price, that with shipping to Florida brought the price up to about $8 each--still a great price. I plan to either see about attaching these wheels to the stock Hobie cart, or building a new one out of PVC. Will post the details when I get to it.