Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back in trouble again!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After a brief sojourn in UK to enjoy the beautiful English summer (it rained for 5 months!) I returned here Beginning of the month and got straight back into my A1!!!
Been out fishing nearly every day since the boat sailing like a dream...caught my biggest fish yet (14lb king mackerel) all my rudder problems resolved since I had a brass rudderpin machined for me...everything working perfectly...been extolling the virtues of the craft to all and sundry, a lot of people asking where to purchase the craft and I hear stories of orders being placed, so look forward to some company out on the ocean. Phuket's the perfect place to sail, lots of islands to visit, warm water, nice breeze and plenty of good size fish to catch....and BOY do the Thais know how to cook them!!!!!!
Couple of days ago noticed one of the cams holding the mirage drive in place was loose, so I tightened the hex bolt a little but it still wouldnt hold the cam tight. Today I decided to locktite it down. On removing the bolt I noticed a crack in the deck where the bolt passes down through the drive well and on further inspection inside the hull saw that the plastic column that holds the thread had sheared. Looks to me like a classic case of over tension, but that's the kind of thing I dont do. Go to a reasonable torque and then if its still not right take the whole thing apart and check.
Short of selling my A1 to an unsuspecting, oil flushed Russian (Phuket seems to be full of wealthy, bored, Russians....Glad someones still has money) and making up the difference with my rapidly depreciating pounds to purchase a new A1 is there a Yakaholic, Roadrunner, Stringy, Alohadan fix for my new dilemma. You guys are my port of last call, things are not looking good! Will post pix very shortly

Many thanks

heres the damage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip,

There have been a number of posts recently about cam shafts breaking on other hulls. Here are some links that I have noticed. Hobie still warrantees the hull, so you should check the posts to see what is being done. On one, Matt Miller said something about extending the warrenty.
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/7131011635
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/4451064335
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/3651091035
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/9131020235

Good luck...

Keith

PS How are you catching the King mackerel? How far offshore? How deep is the water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just curious about the type of drive system you use, turbo or standard? I use my hobie in cold conditions, could this increase my chance of having a crack by making the plastic brittle? Im creeping up on my 2 years, seeing this makes me nervous. How can cracks like this be properly repaired once the warranty is up?

Last edited by donjoe on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 am 
Site Admin

That would be covered by the warranty.

Roadrunner repaired a cracked column a year or so ago with some special glue. The type is mentioned in one of his posts. The boat has been running smoothly ever since. The glue is used as a coating around the column.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Roadrunner repaired a cracked column a year or so ago with some special glue. The type is mentioned in one of his posts. The boat has been running smoothly ever since. The glue is used as a coating around the column.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 6041013415

I think the above link shows such a repair using dp8010.

I would go one step further. Use a correct diameter & length PVC pipe split in 2 along it's length and sandwiched around the cam column immediately after coated with still wet dp8010 glue. Gotta work fast thou - 10 min drying time.
Considering the difficulty in reaching the spot, one might apply the glue to the inside of the cut PVC pipe half and then place it over the cam column - beats dabbing bits of glue on the column,

I have used 3M ScotchWeld 8010 and it would probable take 2 kits @ ~$22 per kit - one for each cam column. My use was for a seat plug crack on the Island. Orderd glue from the 3M on-line store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Chekika and Donjoe, many thanks Chekika for your post I will forward the links you provided to my Dealer, Blue Wave Watersports in Bangkok and Hobie Aus both of whom have given me exceptional support in the past. They for sure will be able to tell me if this is an extended warranty issue or not.

Donjoe, my boat is coming up to 2 years old and YES I have been using turbo fins. Also I have used the boat a lot.

As a short term remedial fix I am thinking of hoseclamping the broken shaft just to keep me on the water in the interim.

Chekika, I was trolling with a No 9 rapalla and a 20lb line using a light weight Penn reel and a 20 dollar fibreglass rod. I only started fishing about one year ago but I have a very good teacher who told me "go light weight its more of a challenge!" Most of the fish around here are about 1-4 kilos so 6 kilo king mackerel is a good catch for us. Spearfishermen come up with 20 kilo trevally but that's another sport.

The depth of water I was fishing in would have been between 25-35 meters and my lure about 1 1/2 meters down. If you use google the exact spot I was in (or as near as damnit) 7 44 35N 98 17 59E

Here she is!

A couple of days later I caught a much smaller King mackerel it was about 2 kilos and as the spearfishermen (who dive without air) passed me in their boat I proudly waved it to them from my AI and they shouted back "Nice one Phil!".....It was only when I returned and saw what they had caught that I learnt it would have been better to keep my mouth SHUT!!!! The 20 kilo trevally below was just ONE of the fish they speared there was a far larger Tuna lying beside it and a bunch of other fish that to me would be the once in a lifetime catch...and they are hauling them up from a considerable depth on lung power alone...another breed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakaholic wrote:
I have used 3M ScotchWeld 8010 and it would probable take 2 kits @ ~$22 per kit - one for each cam column. My use was for a seat plug crack on the Island. Orderd glue from the 3M on-line store.

Thank you Yakaholic!!

Its going to be tricky getting that glue over here. Do you think that if I scratched the column and the plastic pipe up real good I could get enough of a key to create a mechanical bond using EPOXY then secure the 2 halves of the PVC pipe around the column using a couple of hose clamps just to make sure the whole thing holds together?

Also Many Thanks Matt I will post a link to this subject to my dealer and see what kind of warranty cover I maybe entitled to on the hull.

Philip

Thank God for this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Philip,

This is a strange way to find out of a problem (forum) vs. going direct to the dealer (Blue Wave) or Hobie Cat Australia first. One simple email or phone call to either of us is all that was required. You have Gordon's and mine direct email address at Hobie Cat Australasia PL.

The Hobie Cat Company takes pride in handling problems or issues with any Hobie product and most would agree that should a customer have an issue, we will sort it out straight away and or find solutions to keep you on the water while the claim is being processed.

To speed this claim up, please contact Antony at Blue Wave and confirm a few details. This is just how we do things. Thanks for understanding.

We have no problem with getting you back on the water chasing fish (nice fish by the way) and enjoying the waters in Thailand.

I would also suggest to others, that by contacting the dealer direct then do the necessary paper work FIRST, you will find that the process will be seamless in most cases and handled in a professional manner and as quickly as possible.

All we ask is to have the first opportunity to handle the claim.

Kind regards,
Steve Fields
Managing Director

Post subject: reinforcement
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For anyone who doesn`t want a great day spoiled by mechanical failure in whatever yak he is sitting reinforcing isn`t a bad idea, see how Douglas Gaxiola has done it
http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.php?t=8443

Scuppers and other collums in hard driven/ fished/ loaded yaks can be at risk in any make.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

peddlefisher--good link. Clearly, some people like to fool with their boat as much or more than they like to use it.

I've done a little reinforcing, and, after seeing all the broken support shafts, I think it is probably worth reinforcing them. However, it always strikes me as odd that the user has to do this stuff--why doesn't manufacturer take care of it. Isn't that what you pay for?

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

there may be a market for a special reinforcing kit by hobie. Cool link by the way.