I just did it last week-end. The mount as shipped doesn't quite fit but Peter Caras who makes the mount was very helpful on the phone.
I got some pictures I'll try to post when I've figured how.
In the mean time, here is what I learned:
. First of all, once installed it works like a dream. I use a Minn Kota 30 and it moves the boat nicely.
. You definitely want to get a light engine with a short shaft (again the Minn Kota Endura 30 works great - you won't win speed records, but that's what the sails are for...)
. The bottom bracket needs to be positioned slightly off center so that the main block plate doesn't interfere. I elected to keep the engine as centered as I could to keep the thrust even.
. While the instructions go on and on about positionning the mount while the boat is in the water to make sure there is the appropriate distance between the mount and the water, the reality is that because of the dimensions of the bottom braket there is very little possible variations in position. I say, save yourself the time and simply position the bottom bracket with the aft edge about 11/16" from the aft edge of the crossbar. The key thing is to position it as far aft as possible while aking sure that the crossbar groove doesn't interfere with the hole for the rivet. I measured the groove from the opening down to the furthest reaches at about 1", so the hole for the rivet must clear this by at least 1/8" to allow for the expansion of the rivet's head.
. Once the bottom bracket is positioned, clamp it using large lumber clamps, and drill the 1/4" holes as vertical as possible.
. The upper backing brackets shipped with the unit I received were much too long to fit, and the holes in it didn't align. I contacted Peter for instructions, and he indicated that he found the same problem when doing an install on a Getaway. He recommended cutting the forward ends to bring the holes in line with the bolts from the bottom bracket. After much alignements, measurements and sightings, I ended up cutting almost half of the upper brackets. I assume Peter will have new casting made for future units.
. Once the holes are all drilled and everything lines up, make sure you have a can of Lanocote on hand to coat the bolts and rivets so that you prevent corrosion between the stainless hardware and the aluminum of the crossbar. I used to get Lanocote at West Marine years ago, but they don't seem to carry it anymore (do people really mount their SS hardware on their aluminum masts without isolaion?). Anyhow, Boaters' Word carries it and gets my business from now on!
. Don't tighten the bolts too much as they on't really carry much weight, and all you'd do would be to compress the crossbar.
. The rivets are stainless and can't be installed using the cheaper rivet guns. You'll have to get a decent tool for this.
Now for the motor and battery:
. My first thought was to put the battery in one of the "coolers". However, this would require amost 12' of wiring between the motor and the battery. The cable of the Minn Kota 30 is about 6" long. I spent a few hours at various marine stores evaluating the options (6 gauge wiring, connectors, quick connects for the battery, etc.), but there was no perfect solution.
. I wanted a small and light battery as I only plan to use the motor to get out of marinas or reach shore when the wind dies. I found some small Excide deep cycle batteries but couldn't determine their Ah rating (the paucity of info is incredible!). I finally settled on West Marine's AGM deep cycle 32 (I like the AGM no spill technology, and the 32Ah weighs only 25lbs).
. The connectors on this battery are nuts and bolts, and therefore I couldn't use Minn Kota's quick release battery connectors. I sure wish I didn't have to carry a couple of wrenches just to remove the battery!
. The battery would fit in the Getaway's cooler, but only sideways, using a lot of space. And then I still would have to add an extension to the built-in cable. I therefore decide to keep it simple and mount a small battery box immediately forward of the starboard wing support. The stock engine cables just reach, and I secure the battery box both with a strap passing though loops bolted to the hull, and with an extra strap going around the wing support.
. Mounting a small battery monitor (Innova or Roadpro, see Practical Sailor July 2006 issue) in the battery box cover so that I can easily monitor the charge and not drain the battery too low.